Upon arrival, your vehicle is weighed on our “big scale” which has a digital read out for you to see your weight. Once weighed you get paid! After collecting some information you are assigned a customer number so we can easily track you and your “scrapping history”. After just a few minutes we pay you cash on the spot for your vehicle.
Now that your vehicle has been brought in as scrap, our knowledgeable and experienced staff begins to “Detox” the vehicle. The vehicle is hoisted up so fluids, including but not limited to; gasoline, transmission fluid, oil and anti-freeze can be drained and properly recycled. Once completely drained, the engine, battery, radiator, tires and catalytic converter are removed for further recycling. After the car is completely stripped it is loaded into a trailer and shipped to a mill for further processing.
Interesting facts about vehicle recycling:
- Approximately 10 million vehicles are recycled annually
- Cars are the number one recycled product in the United States
- Recycling steel saves energy and natural resources. The steel industry saves enough energy to power about 18 million households for a year, on a yearly basis.
- Recycling metal uses about 74 percent less energy than making metal. Thus, recyclers of end-of-life vehicles save an estimated 85 million barrels of oil annually that would have been used in the manufacturing of other parts.
- Recycling a car keeps 11 million tons of steel and 800,000 non-ferrous metals out of landfills and back in consumer use.
- Before the 2003 model year, some vehicles that were manufactured were found to contain mercury auto switches, used in convenience lighting and antilock braking systems. Recyclers remove and recycle this mercury before the vehicles are shredded to prevent it from escaping into the environment.
Come visit us a Universal Recycling & Scrap Iron for all your scrap metal, junk car and trucks and/or used auto part needs.
Universal Recycling Group
23 Double Trouble Road
Bayville, NJ 08721
732.349.0112 or 732.505.0800
Also check out our Demolition Company located in Bayville, NJ.
Universal Wrecking Corp.
170 Double Trouble Road
Bayville, NJ 08721
Toll Free: 866-585-3198